Re: Dial-in mgetty line security

At 05:47 PM 11/14/99 -0800, Michael W. Shaffer wrote:
><> Is this adequate to protect from random dialers who might
>stumble on the modem tone and try logging in to this machine?

I think war dialers are a thing of the past really.

><> Are there any other routine actions like this I should take
>to protect modem lines like this used only for occasional remote
>admin?

Set adminname to a random sequence so it will be extremely hard to guess.
Enable failed login tracking.  Set LOG_UNKFAIL_ENAB, FAILLOG_ENAB, and
FTMP_FILE to yes.  All in /etc/login.defs.  You could make a script to email
you if there are any failed login attemps.  That way you would be alerted to
a potential attack.  Also you can use non-standard terminal settings so
anyone trying to connect who isn't in-the-know will fail.  e.g. 7-E-1,
8-N-0, etc.

At 02:48 PM 11/15/99 +1100, Roland Gerlach wrote:
>Are you aware that entering adminname and any password will cause
>login to re-prompt for the username which will defeat your mgetty
>/bin/false security mechanism?

You can set the number of login retries to 0.  In /etc/login.defs.

--