Re: Maintaing proxytunnel through the team

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 01:34:32AM +0100, Samuel Henrique wrote:
> Hello Sven,
>
> I believe the package is a fit for our team yes.
>
> The repository is created at
> https://salsa.debian.org/pkg-security-team/proxytunnel
> But before the push I'd like to ask you about the latest upstream
> release imported: 1.9.1+git20200123.1.eff4d41
>
> What's up with the "1.eff4d41" part? I didn't investigate but I assume
> the last one is part of the git commit hash, but I don't know about
> the ".1.".
> I feel like I'm missing something, generally I prefer to use only a
> date for tarballs coming from git snapshots, and I believe they are
> more clean, though I recognize it's not as precise as having the
> commit id.

Hello Samuel,

There is no particular consensus for git-based version numbers.

egrep 'Package:|Version:' /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.uk.debian.org_debian_dists_testing_main_binary-amd64_Packages | grep -B 1 '+git' | less

shows a wide variety.  But it is very common to include the first 7
characters of the commit id.

Best wishes,

   Julian