Re: Our policy around gbp.conf

Hi,

On Mon, 30 Dec 2019, SZ Lin (林上智) wrote:
> I'm curious about the benefit of putting gbp.conf in each package
> instead of using ~/.gbp.conf. It's painful to have to update this file
> once the team decided to change the default configuration afterward, and
> I didn't see any extraordinary setting that we need.

Large scale update are not so complicated with the appropriate tools.
Change of gbp.conf doesn't require an upload so it's ok.

We want external contributors to have the proper settings and we want
contributors who can be part of multiple teams with different settings...

The most important setting is the "debian-branch" and the "pristine-tar"
one. The others are minor.

> Apart from that, I'm not sure the status of dep14 [1] (it shows
> "draft"), I think it's beneficial for development across the packaging teams.
>
> [1] https://dep-team.pages.debian.net/deps/dep14/

I should probably drop the draft status by now.

> > I agree it's painful to have to update this file when you work in other
> > branches, hence why I use "ignore-branch" and tend to not hardcode the
> > branch in the configuration file..
>
> How about using .git/gbp.conf (per repository)?

It doesn't help with the fact that you have to use different values for
"debian-branch" when you are in debian/master or in debian/buster or in
debian/experimental...

Cheers,
--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀   Raphaël Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>