Re: ArpON deb package bug

Hi Andrea,

On Sat, 1 Sep 2018 13:22:55 +0200
Andrea Di Pasquale <spikey.it@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm Andrea, author of ArpON software. Nice to meet you!

Likewise, thanks for reaching out, it's always good to be in touch with
the authors of the software we maintain! :)

ArpON is team-maintained by the Debian Security Tools Packaging team.
I'm CC-ing our team mailing list.  If you have any questions and/or
requests regarding the package, it's best to reach out to that mailing
list.

> (...)
> I've figured out also that ArpON package for Debian system has got
> very big problem: it doesn't create the ArpON's log directory
> (/var/log/arpon/) automatically. In fact, once you've installed ArpON
> via APT if you try to run arpon via command line, you'll find an
> error. The solution is type this command:
>
> $ sudo mkdir /var/log/arpon/
>
> So, please could you fix this error and permit to APT creates that log
> directory automatically? Else lots of users can't use it and it could
> be a huge problem for our users.

Thanks for noticing.  The log directory is currently not created during
package installation but only when arpon is started using the init
system.  I will change that so the directory is created when the
package is installed instead.

> Finally I've figured out also that ArpON package description is old.
> So please could you fix it with that new description:
>   [description from http://arpon.sourceforge.net/ follows]

The scope of the Debian description is a bit different from the
project's webpage [1] and I think using it directly does not fit well
in this case.  I'll make an alternative suggestion for an updated
description and share that with you so you can comment (but I won't get
to that before the weekend).

Thanks
Lukas

PS: I've opened two bug reports with patches a while back.  One of them
fixes gcc-7 compile errors [2].  It would be nice if those could be
included in the next release.

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-binary.html#the-description-of-a-package
[2] https://sourceforge.net/p/arpon/bugs/1/