Please sponsor snoopy (Re: snoopy: FTBFS)

Hi Hugo,

thanks for checking! :)

On Sat, 28 Oct 2017 16:38:46 +0200
Hugo Lefeuvre <hle at debian.org> wrote:

> > Just let me have a look at the changes, and I'll upload it in the
> > evening.
>
> Hum, actually it is still FTBFS on my machine. Looks like
> datasource_rpname.sh is failing.
>
> You can find a build log in attachment.

Nice catch, that's a real bug and not just a problem with the test? and
one way to trigger it is to start the build from tmux! ;)

I found the cause and have created a pull request upstream [1].
However, travis reports the test as failing and while I don't think
it's my patch's fault (the test also fails in the master branch and
in all the other pull requests) I cannot be sure?

> Also, is it really necessary to change from any to linux-any ? No
> patch possibilities ? I don't know the codebase, but IMO this kind of
> solutions should be considered as a last resort.

I agree.  In this case, upstream only supports Linux and heavily uses
Linux-only functionality, e.g. functions like gettid [2], parsing
information from /proc and more.  So I don't see another option.

> Otherwise the diff is fine, I can sponsor the package once you've
> fixed the broken tests issue.

I think the best way to proceed with this bug is to wait for a few weeks
and hope upstream comments on the issue.  Though I'm not too hopeful
since the GCC-7 FTBFS issue [3] hasn't seen any activity either.  I will
file a bug in our BTS about that tomorrow so we don't forget to track
this.

I would propose we still upload the version from git now:  This bug is
not a regression from previous versions and the update allows us to
check whether the random FTBFS (shown by the reproducible build
project [4]) and the build failures on some of the non release
architectures [5] have been addressed.

Thanks & regards
Lukas

[1] https://github.com/a2o/snoopy/pull/126
[2] gettid(2): gettid() is Linux-specific and should not be used in
    programs that are intended to be portable.
[3] https://github.com/a2o/snoopy/pull/122
[4]?https://tests.reproducible-builds.org/debian/snoopy
[5]?https://buildd.debian.org/snoopy