[Pkg-security-team] Some problems with T50 packaging

On Wed, 24 Aug 2016, Marcos Fouces wrote:
> I left the credits for every kali packager because i use kali package as
> starting point. It is surely unfair not to give them credits.

There's certainly nothing wrong to keep the full history including the
Kali one. If you look into the Debian archive, you will find ubuntu
changelog entries as well.

It's also not the end of the world if you start with an empty changelog.

My personal preference is to keep the original changelog in general as
it might contain indications about some of the old packaging choices that
might still be relevant.

> > pristine-tar: The first tarball uploaded to this branch was the kali
> > one, from 5.4.1 (first debian shipped version is 5.6.4), is that a a
> > problem? Can we reset the pristine-tar branch with 5.6.4?

The pristine-tar branch contains data for all the historical tarballs and
it's fine that way. There's nothing problematic here.

> > Please also note that no upstream tags were made yet, so i believe it
> > would be less intrusive to reset pristine-tar.

What do you mean? I see a 5.4.1 tag in
https://github.com/fredericopissarra/t50/releases

> > If somebody clones t50 packaging repo from our team and tries gbp
> > buildpackage, the build will fail because gbp will try to build the kali
> > version: "dpkg-deb: building package 't50' in
> > '../t50_5.4.1-rc1-1kali1_amd64.deb'."
> Perhaps you need to configure gbp to use "debian/master" as the Debian
> branch. By default it uses the "master" branch that actually points to kali
> version.

Right... I dropped the master branch on git.debian.org to avoid this
mistake on a fresh clone.

Cheers,
--
Rapha?l Hertzog ? Debian Developer