RE: IPTABLES

Please flame me if I have this backwards, but I believe ip_tables only works under 2.2.x and earlier kernels, and the 2.4.x kernel introduced ip_chains and is incompatible with ip_tables.

You have to use the right one, even thought the package/module for both shows up (at least in Woody) and loads, but if you're using the 2.4 kernel the earlier stuff just "fails" like you're describing.

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Firewall-HOWTO-8.html

Curt-