Re: strange log entry

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 01:24:50AM -0400, Ed Street wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Well first off WHY are you running the rpc stuff?  (i.e. I can root a redhat
> 6.x box in under 30 seconds with a rpc exploit from a clean install)  Turn
> that stuff OFF.

Not to start a thread discussing OSes, but ...

OpenBSD ships with rstatd and ruserd enabled by default and according to
http://www.openbsd.org/

    "Four years without a remote hole in the default install!"

Which begs the question, especially since the *BSD's release their
sources under BSD style liscenses, why does rpc remain a security problem
in Linux?  Is it the kernel?  Is it the rpc code?

Simply curious,
<jakemsr@clipper.net>