Re: Any input for some talk about usage of Debian in HPC

Hi Andreas,

Debian is/can be present on HPC natively (to deploy and manage such
cluster, many examples will be given) or via containerization
(increasingly more relevant), in particular with singularity. And
scientific computing is not just about HPC but also reproducibility
IMHO, here Debian has some to offer too. A few bullet points on
both

- there is https://wiki.debian.org/HighPerformanceComputing which lists
  a number of packages which relate to HPC computing, although seems
  missing
  https://packages.debian.org/sid/environment-modules
  which is pretty much "the" solution across many HPCs to provide
  flexibility in environments people need/use
  and give some semblance of "reproducibility" to them.

- there is https://lists.debian.org/debian-hpc/

- since advent of singularity (singularity-container package in debian
  due to conflict), you might discover more of "Debian" being used on
  HPC within containers providing specific computing environments and
  setups

  - that further improves flexibility and reproducibility of compute on the cluster

    - re reproducibility, here is an example from another fella DD
      Michael Hanke et al
      FAIRly big: A framework for computationally reproducible processing of large-scale data

    - their cluster at https://www.fz-juelich.de/en/inm/inm-7 is running
      Debian

- with reproducible builds, https://snapshot.debian.org/ (and our
  http://snapshot-neuro.debian.net/) and with/without
  https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=neurodebian-freeze
  it becomes easy to establish reproducible containers -- so you have
  some guarantee that your container still builds in the future without
  divergence.

Cheers,

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko