Re: can I help with pyvista packaging?

Hi Francesco,

Am Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 03:37:32PM +0100 schrieb Francesco Ballarin:
> Thanks Andreas, I'll reply below

That's very convinient and normal on Debian lists.  Please also be aware
that on Debian lists it policy to not CC people.  While nobody will
blame you here on Debian Science list about not following this (and I do
so intentionally since I do not know whether you are subscribed) I just
tell you so since you are a newcomer and maybe you will run into a
situation on some other mailing list where someone might give you some
not so friendly advise about this. ;-)

> On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 9:18 AM Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> > Maybe its a good thing to discuss this issue at
> > debian-python@lists.debian.org (keeping the actual uploaders Gorden and
> > Ximin in CC) to check out the blockers for the migration.  Finally we
> > need to make sure that we will not lag too much behind upstream.
> >

> Agreed. I'll wait a couple more days to see if the person I asked
> replies, and after that I'll post to the debian-python list.

Debian-python is also a very well fitting list.

> > Alternatively there is debian/README.source
>
> Yes, sorry, I confused the two REAMDEs. I was thinking about README.source

No problem.  I was just mentioning alteratives since not everybody reads
README.source under every circumstance.  That's why I also drop a note
into d/changelog if its very important knowledge for other team members.

> > I admit I do not fully understand what you mean.  Why not adding
> > versioned Build-Depends and let dpkg check the proper versions?
>
> Will do. It will probably be easier to explain what I was trying to
> say once I've actually done it, so if needed we'll come back to this
> point after I've started working on it.

Perfect.

> > No.  Just create another binary package containing just the
> > dependencies.  That's fine.
>
> Will do, thanks!

You are welcome.

> I'll keep you up to date on the progress,

Thanks a lot for your work on this