Re: Provisional packaging for Aoache Arrow available

Hi Nilesh,

On 20 December 2021 9:17:40 pm IST, Sascha Steinbiss <satta@debian.org> wrote:
TLDR: I have prepared a package to cover as much of Arrow as is possible
with what we have in Debian, dependency-wise. There is still a review of
d/copyright missing, and some bundled code might need some extra love or
removal.
[...]
It's quite an old mail but....
I can give you a hand with it, however I can't maintain this alone.

Yeah, same here. It's big.

I'm seeing this as a dependency in increasing number of packages and
it'd be good to have this in the archive.

I agree. At the moment, though, I must admit I don't really need it anymore since the package that I originally needed it for as a dependency (vast) is no longer a priority for me. So for me there would be little motivation to keep it updated (and also only little insight into version progress and impact of changes).

Moreover, it seems like upstream are doing major releases rather frequently [0] for which I have no idea of how potentially ABI breaking they are, but I expect them to be [1]. That means that there might be a danger of frequent transitions if we want to keep up-to-date with upstream's versions. I have little experience with handling transitions, TBH, and I am not sure I can dedicate much time to that in the future.

If that's OK then I wouldn't mind investing some more time to help make a current version in Debian possible, as long as update work can be shared across team members. I'd suggest we disable some features that would require packaging even more dependencies though (e.g. aws-sdk-cpp etc.).

What do you think?

Cheers
Sascha

[0]https://arrow.apache.org/release/