Re: MRs on salsa and letting janitor automate things

Hi Dima,

* Dima Kogan <dkogan@debian.org> [2022-12-02 13:53]:
The reason is that a package that has

 Build-Depends: debhelper-compat (=13)

will fail to build on any older distro. I maintain some tools where I
provide packages for a number of distros, and adding such a
Build-Depends would mean I need to do extra work to build the packages.

One example of such a project is mrcal. It's in Debian, maintained in
debian-science. Its debian/control debhelper dependency:

 https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/mrcal/-/blob/master/debian/control#L7

If a user of another distro wants to install these tools, they can get
them from the mrcal APT server. Public instructions:

 http://mrcal.secretsauce.net/install.html

When building packages for the other distros, I generally just sbuild
the same tree using the chroot for the target distro. This would fail
with debhelper-compat.

From the site those other distros are buster, bullseye, jammy, focal, bionic. For all those debhlper 13 is available (in backports):

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=debhelper&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all
https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=all&searchon=names&keywords=debhelper

Given that new debhelper versions can contain important fixes and that relying on it's magic could create implicit dependencies, I really recommend to use the backported versions.

Cheers Jochen