Re: [ftpmaster@ftp-master.debian.org: node-shiny-server_1.5.17.973-1_amd64.changes ACCEPTED into experimental, experimental] (Was: Re: shiny-server in debian)

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 04:21:44PM -0400, Eric Brown wrote:
> Hi Nilesh,
> That's good news - however on a fresh debian unstable, when I
> installed shiny-server from experimental, starting it results in an
> immediate segmentation fault.

Weird, and unfortunately I am not able to reproduce this, the experimental
install works just fine for me.

But since it segfaults for you, my hunch is that most likely you upgraded the
version of nodejs to the version in experimental which you shouldn't be doing.
By default, a package in experimental uses the dependency version in unstable, unless
a proper versioned dependency is added.

Can you try configuring exp sources as given here[1] and do a "apt -t experimental install shiny-server"
and check again? Also ensure that the version of nodejs[2] is 14, and not 16.

> Then on the same system, I built from
> the salsa git and installed it and it works.

Yep, and that would probably be because you built the package with new version of nodejs
on your local system and that worked for you, while on the buildd suite node-14 is being used.

For every new major release of node, shiny-server needs to be recompiled you did exactly this locally.

> Do you have any idea why
> it would be different? Anything you would like to check to help debug?

If you could check the above steps I pointed to, we can track this further.
That'd be helpful, Eric.

[1]: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianExperimental#To_configure_APT
[2]: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/nodejs

Regards,