Re: sockjs-client is in Debian but needs update (Was: [covid-19] shiny-server (Was: dependencies Re: ITP: streamlit))

On 2022-02-22 13:20, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Unfortunately we have a new problem as
> autopkgtest shows[4]
>
>    sockjs-client : Depends: node-json3 (>= 3.3.2) but it is not installable
>
> while we had this package before it was removed[5] from Debian.
>
> I need to admit that I have no idea how to sensibly proceed from here
> and would love if someone from Debian Javascript Maintainers would take
> over from here.

Citing [6]:

  JSON 3 is **deprecated** and **no longer maintained**. Please don't
  use it in new projects, and migrate existing projects to use the
  native `JSON.parse` and `JSON.stringify` instead.

My sense is that sockjs-client needs node-json3 usage replaced with
calls to native JSON module (by upstream or by patch).

> [1] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/sockjs-client
> [2] https://salsa.debian.org/js-team/node-sockjs-client
> [3] https://bugs.debian.org/979958
> [4] https://salsa.debian.org/js-team/node-sockjs-client/-/jobs/2499248