Re: xsimd portability to other archs?

On 2021-10-14 17:52, Julien Lamy wrote:
Le 13/10/2021 à 21:42, Nilesh Patra a écrit :

Moreover, the two other sample programs (a benchmark
and a generator of the Mandelbrot set) do not both compile on all
aforementioned arches. It seems that for now the support of non-x86 arches
is not fully there.

Okay, I see. Maybe before release we could limit the archs then?
Or is it only due to gtest and we simply disable tests on those few archs?

I don't think it's purely related to gtest: the test programs
(benchmark and Mandelbrot set) don't use it, and also fail to compile.
Regarding the arch limitation, Drew Parsons suggested earlier [2] that
build failures on a never-uploaded package wasn't really a problem: we
could keep the failing architectures so that, when the situation
improves with a future upstream version, they would be packaged
automatically.

We'll see in a few days if migration to testing is that simple :p

I've noticed that upstream uses non-x86 architectures
in their CI framework, so things are moving in the right direction.

That's good news. I've noticed while packaging xtensor and dolfinx that even arches that pass xsimd tests (including amd64) still fail using xsimd data structures in other applications. Good if upstream is actively working on improving support.

Drew