Re: RFS: phcpack 2.4.84 (NEW)

Hi Doug,

On Wed, 7 Jul 2021 at 03:42, Torrance, Douglas <dtorrance@piedmont.edu> wrote:

On Wed 19 May 2021 12:37:22 PM EDT, Doug Torrance <dtorrance@piedmont.edu> wrote:
> I've finished packaging PHCpack, which is written in Ada and solves polynomial systems using homotopy continuation, for Debian.  It also includes Python and Octave interfaces.
>
> Would anyone be willing to review/sponsor?  Note that I currently have it set for upload to unstable since it's destined for the NEW queue and I don't think that would interfere with the freeze, but perhaps it would make sense to upload to experimental instead?
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/phcpack

FYI, I'm still looking for a sponsor for PHCpack.  Upstream recently released a new version (2.4.85), and I've updated the packaging in Salsa accordingly.

./src/Ada/Math_Lib/QD/READ_ME states this:

The main reference for the QD-2.3.9 library is
Y. Hida, X.S. Li, and D.H. Bailey:
"Algorithms for quad-double precision floating point arithmetic."
In 15th IEEE Symposium on Computer Arithmetic (Arith-15 2001),
11-17 June 2001, Vail, CO, USA, pages 155-162. IEEE Computer Society, 2001.
Shortened version of Technical Report LBNL-46996,
software at http://crd.lbl.gov/~dhbailey/mpdist/qd-2.3.9.tar.gz.

Note that the "BSD-LBNL-License" is GPL compatible, although
"If you wish to use the software for commercial purposes
please contact the Technology Transfer Department at TTD@lbl.gov or
call 510-286-6457."

I admit, I'm not very sure if I understand the terms there correctly, but should it be mentioned in d/copyright?
I also see similar stuff in a lot of READ_ME files, ./src/Ada/Root_Counts/MixedVol/READ_ME for instance.

Do they need to be mentioned in d/copyright? If not, IMO adding a "Comment:" and the reasoning for not adding these in copyright would be good.

I've also opened a merge request in the Debian Science Blend repo to add it to the mathematics task:
https://salsa.debian.org/blends-team/science/-/merge_requests/7

I'm also still looking for sponsors for a few other packages:

* macaulay2 (new upstream version 1.18, for experimental)
  https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/macaulay2

Unfortunately, I've got no resources to build it :-(
I hope someone else uploads this. If not, just ping me after your keys are added to the DM keyring, and I'll grant you DM access for this

* macaulay2-jupyter-kernel (NEW)
  https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/macaulay2-jupyter-kernel

Uploaded!

* qepcad (NEW)
  https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/qepcad

./plot2d/ADJ2D_plot is a binary file, and I'm sure FTP masters will not like it. Please repack this and compile the same during the build.

Good news: my DM application was recently approved, so once the keyring is updated, I won't need to ask for sponsorship for non-NEW packages.  :)

I'm very happy about this. Whilst I could not advocate you due to us working on not many packages together, I was definitely cheering on the sidelines all this while.
I hope you apply for being a DD someday, and by that time I've sponsored enough packages for you.

Cheers,
Nilesh