Re: Debian Math Team

Hi,

On 2021-10-29 20:31, Torrance, Douglas wrote:
> During the Debian Science BoF at this year's DebConf, there was some
> discussion of creating a team devoted to packaging mathematical software.

I agree with Anton here. I do not see how further fragmentation of
debian-science could benefit it. I missed the BoF, but maybe there are
notes reflecting this decision?

Separate team and separate mailing list will have less members than
debian-science. Furthermore, from my experience one does not need domain
knowledge to successfully package and maintain packages in Debian.

What makes more sense to me, is organizing packages into teams based on
programming languages and build/test systems, as such teams indeed
possess specific knowledge. I think most of the mails asking for help in
debian-med concern language and build system problems, not
domain-specific issues. Thus I am very comfortable keeping my math
packages in per-language teams knowing that these teams will take good
care of them if needed.

I am worried reading about R packages being moved from debian-r to new
debian-math. I am afraid doing so might negatively impact their quality.

Best,
Andrius