Re: xsimd portability to other archs?

Hi Julien,

Very sorry for not responding earlier.

On Fri, Oct 08, 2021 at 11:47:32AM +0200, Julien Lamy wrote:
> Hi Nilesh,
>
> Le 07/10/2021 à 07:48, Nilesh Patra a écrit :
> > Hi Julien,
> >
> > xsimd was accepted into the archive many weeks back[1]
> > Since you had access to the porter boxes for debugging this,
> > did you have any luck/any progress debugging it and getting this
> > built on the archs it doesn't go well on?
>
> Using porterboxes and a RPi, I could get the unit tests to run on armv7l,
> aarch64, mips64 and ppc64le. However, this required downloading a specific
> version of the gtest framework and not using the one packaged in Debian
> (DOWNLOAD_GTEST=ON).

Ah, are the test failures due to gtest instead of the package itself?
Would you know what exactly might be the delta between the gtest you fetched and the
one in the archive?

> Moreover, the two other sample programs (a benchmark
> and a generator of the Mandelbrot set) do not both compile on all
> aforementioned arches. It seems that for now the support of non-x86 arches
> is not fully there.

Okay, I see. Maybe before release we could limit the archs then?
Or is it only due to gtest and we simply disable tests on those few archs?

> On a related note, I've updated the repository on Salsa to the latest
> upstream release (7.6.0): CI passes (with the exception of the crossbuild to
> arm64), could I get a sponsored upload for xsimd?

Ofcourse, I just uploaded now. Thank you very much for your work!

Nilesh