Re: Multiple versions of Ignition libraries for different simulators

* Jose Luis Rivero <jrivero@openrobotics.org> [2021-08-17 22:08]:
Thanks, looks like a lot of features are there while a bunch is still
missing. Not sure if it makes sense to update already, but I don't use
Gazebo currently so your call.

Your quick look I think is accurate.

[..]

A possible migration plan inside Debian could be:

In experimental:
1. Rename the needed parts (source package, -deb package, ...) of current
ignition libraries used by Gazebo11 that are not compatible with
ignition-gazebo latest.
2. Change gazebo11 to use these new package names.
3. Introduce latest major versions of Ignition libraries in renamed in 1
with the current approach of naming them to be the default ones (mainly
standard -dev package name).

4. Move the whole set of things (all ignition libraries)  from experimental
to unstable at once to facilitate ignition libraries transition to the
latest for the user not in Gazebo.

Does this seem reasonable?

Sounds reasonable. Uses will get the new version by default, which makes sense to me. Given the statement above I leave the decision of when to to the switch to you.

Cheers Jochen