Re: Multiple versions of Ignition libraries for different simulators

Hello Leo:

On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 12:19 AM Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda <leo@alaxarxa.net> wrote:
Hi all,

first of all sorry for the late reply.

No problem.

El 14/8/21 a les 22:17, Jochen Sprickerhof ha escrit:
> Hi Jose,
>
> sorry for the late reply. I had a longer discussion with Timo about this
> today.
>
> * Jose Luis Rivero <jrivero@openrobotics.org> [2021-08-11 18:10]:
>> Development upstream (Open Robotics) is now focused on the new
>> ignition-gazebo simulator (considered like the sucesor of Gazebo) which
>> depends on the whole Ignition family of libraries, some of them are the
>> same libraries (like ignition-transport) than the ones used by Gazebo.
>
> Can you give some insights on how both versions compare feature wise?
> Is it a drop in replacement so everyone could/should switch?
> If not, when is that expected?

Exactly, Jose your sentence is not clear. Should I understand that
gazebo11 _only works with ign-transport8 and not ign-transport11? Why?
I'm asking the same as Jochen.

Gazebo11, as far as I know nowadays, has only been tested and used with ign-transport8. Could it work with ign-transport11? Maybe, I've never seen that combination but there is nothing I know of preventing it from working. The point here for me is: do we want to explore the route of combining gazebo11 on top of different major versions of Ignition libraries than the ones supported upstream instead of having multiple versions of Ignitions in Debian? Because going with the first option could lead us to find bugs and other behaviour differences that upstream is probably going to close by saying: use the recommended version or use our binaries which use the recommended versions and that could create a severe problem for the whole community.

Thanks.