Re: Packaging Open Porous Media (OPM) software suite

Hi Andrius,

Thanks alot for your kind help. Sorry, about late reply but I wanted to address the comments of Anton in the opm-common package first. That turned out to be quite some work.

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 12:39:31PM +0300, Andrius Merkys wrote:
On 2021-04-28 16:17, Markus Blatt wrote:
- For the library packages the SONAME will change with each release, as
 the ABI is quite unstable. The version is not part of the library
 package name, which lintian would warn about. But we are overwriting
 the warning currently.

This lintian warning is quite important. If the ABI is unstable, I would
suggest making these libraries private by putting them under
/usr/lib/<triplet>/opm (for example) and shipping them in the same
binary package as the main executable(s).

Not sure what you mean by private. The libraries are/will/can/be used by other packages, e.g. the binaries in lib-opm-simulators-bin need the libraries from all the lib-opm-* packages. Also opm-grid is a DUNE modules and a grid along the DUNE interface. Hence the library from lib-opm-grid could be used in user code and future Debian packages.

Should I still put them beneath /usr/lib/<triplet>/opm? It seems a bit uncommon but I might be missing something.

Thanks and Cheers,

Markus