Re: Quick Poll: Debian to better support hardware acceleration?

On 21.05.21 06:40, M. Zhou wrote:
> Choice 1: this game belongs to the big companies. we should offload
> such burden to third-party providers such as Anaconda.
> Choice 2: we may try to provide what the users need.
> Choice 3: <write down yours>

Choice 2, by a mile.

CUDA wins either way. It's the de facto standard. It is also usable with
commodity hardware available to and affordable by regular users.

I think Debian loses either way, but not supporting it is the worse of
the two options. Being purist here doesn't affect CUDA at all (see
above), it just means Debian users will use pip/conda to get the
software they need. Or worse, switch to a platform where CUDA is
supported out of the box.

And no acceleration is basically a non-option for certain workloads
today. Nobody is going to do deep learning on a CPU.

I'd strongly prefer ROCm as an acceleration solution (for obvious
reasons), but the software environment is still far behind CUDA, and the
officially supported hardware is unaffordable to the average user. We
can work on the former, and hope for change on the latter, but until
both of these issues are solved, we'll just lose people to pip/conda.