Re: Packaging Open Porous Media (OPM) software suite

Hi Markus,

On 2021-04-28 16:17, Markus Blatt wrote:
> I have recently posted an ITP (bug )for this software

Thanks a lot an interesting ITP, and welcome to the team!

Just a couple of comments on points not addressed by Anton:

> - For the library packages the SONAME will change with each release, as
>  the ABI is quite unstable. The version is not part of the library
>  package name, which lintian would warn about. But we are overwriting
>  the warning currently.

This lintian warning is quite important. If the ABI is unstable, I would
suggest making these libraries private by putting them under
/usr/lib/<triplet>/opm (for example) and shipping them in the same
binary package as the main executable(s).

> - Does the top-level directory in the tarballs need to have a special
>  name (like opm-common-2021.04 for version 2021.04 of opm-common)?
>  The reason for asking is that upstream tags final versions as
>  release/<version>/final, which will make uuscan us funny looking
>  opm-common-release-2021.04-final. If it does upstream needs to use the
>  more common tagging scheme v<version>, or we need to create the
>  tarballs ourselves and use gbp import-orig <tarball>.

The suffix '-final' can be removed by uscan's option 'uversionmangle'.

Best,
Andrius