[GSoC] BLAS/LAPACK Ecosystem Enhancement for Debian

Hi science team,

As discussed before, thanks to google, I'm participating GSoC this year
and I'll work to improve our BLAS/LAPACK ecosystem. Details can be found
in my GSoC proposal document:

  https://people.debian.org/~lumin/debian-gsoc.pdf

The confirmed mentors of this project are Andreas and Sébastien as
written on the wiki page[1].

Predictably, when the coding phase starts, I tend to discuss about
technical details in this mailing list (as usual), and regularly report
my progress.

The expected diliverables of this project are:

 1. Documentation and the Debian Science Team Policy.
 2. Introducing NEW meaningful packages (e.g. libflame).
 3. Finishing the pending deprecation process, in order to get rid of libcblas.so.
 4. New lintian checks related to BLAS/LAPACK.
 5. Removing embedded BLAS/LAPACK code copies to increase maintainability.

The detailed documentation will also include Gentoo's BLAS/LAPACK
runtime switching mechanism as a reference since I'm the author of it.

Abstract:

Abstract Dense (numerical) Linear Algebra plays an important role in
scientific computing, and is typically implemented by the BLAS/LAPACK
libraries. In Debian linux, these libraries have been well-organized and
integrated into the system, forming a tiny ecosystem with the help of a
runtime switching mechanism. To date, there are still many aspects from
which this tiny ecosystem can be improved. For example, it lacks
documentation and lintian checks; Some state-of-the-art implementations
are still not incorporated yet; Deprecated components are still present
in the packages. These items altogether requires a considerable amount
of time, energy and skill. The goal of the project is to enhance the
ecosystem from the mentioned aspects.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2020/Projects#SummerOfCode2020.2FApprovedProjects.2FBlasLapackEcosys.BLAS.2FLAPACK_Ecosystem_Enhancement