Re: Please push changes of qelectrotech 1:0.7.0-1 to Git repository

On Sat, Mar 07, 2020 at 01:01:41PM +0100, Martin wrote:
> Isn't that DEP-14 branch layout more or less?
>
> > Per Debian Science policy branch upstream (missing here)
> > contains the upstream source and branch master contains the Debian
> > packaging.
>
> Oops, I missed that. Yes, the name should be "debian" or
> "master" by team policy, not "debian/master". I wonder,
> whether science team should adopt DEP-14 layout instead?

If you give an estimation what time this would save / otherwise
advantage we would gain compared to simply leave the repository
layout nearly all packages have - fine for me.

> > Since master is the default branch I never looked for
> > debian/master.
>
> Salsa tells me, that debian/master were the default branch.
> Also, when I "git clone" the repo, I'm automatically in
> debian/master. Did you do something different maybe?

I used `gbp clone` and ended up as I wrote before.

> > Its actually not "my fix"  I simply realised long term unmerged merge
> > requests[1], merged them and ended up with a strange repository.  Please
> > feel to fix it - you know I'm not an English speaker either.
>
> Yes, we are both native Denglisch speakers :-)
>
> > I'd like to hear your opinion about Merge requests in Debian Science
> > packages.  These do not seem to be very popular and thus the work of new
> > contributors is bit-rotting in Salsa which is sad.
>
> I have to confess, that I never look much into Salsa, for none
> of my packages. How would I know, that there were merge
> requests? Shouldn't there be bug reports tagged "patch"?

I fully agree.  Since some weeks Nilesh Patra who fixed lots of issues
on Debian Med packages via merge request pinged me about those.  This
was pretty helpful and than I somehow realised - ohh there are other
merge requests.  There are several of Janitor which I consider not
helpful at all since I'm doing these changes automatically with
routine-update anyway.  But there are others which make really sense.