Re: Fwd: Re: libmseed licensing

Pierre Duperray wrote on 03/12/2019:

> Hello Paride,
>
> On 12/3/19 2:09 PM, Paride Legovini wrote:
>> Hi Pierre,
>>
>> I'm working at the libmseed3 Debian package. One thing I noticed is that
>> IRIS relicensed libmseed from LGPL-3.0+ to Apache-2.0, plus there are a
>> couple of files in the repo that are MIT/Expat licensed.
> ok
>> I have a couple of questions for you:
>>
>> 1. Are you fine with relicensing debian/* as Apache-2.0 for licensing
>> uniformity?
> no problem
>> 2. d/copyright lists you as the copyright owner of mseed.pc.in, licensed
>> LGPL-3.0+. Apparently they didn't really take this into account when
>> doing the relicensing. Are you fine with relicensing this as Apache-2.0?
>> (Given the nature of the file I'd probably drop the copyright claim and
>> just consider it as part of upstream, but this is up to you.)
>
> Yes I don't claim anything, we can consider it part of upstream.

Ok, perfect, and thanks for reaching out via debian-science.

Anyway I'll upload libmseed3 to experimental and I think it will stay
there for a while. The other tools depending on libmseed (mseed2sac,
sac2mseed) still need libmseed2, and apparently they are not compatible
with libmseed3. Upstream don't seems to care as they ship libmseed2 with
the tools as a vendored library, but we want to use the Debian packaged one.

> You will do an NMU? How will you proceed? I'm not sure to have
> permission to push something on salsa...

Well I co-maintain the package with you (see our email exchange of
September 2018), and I have upload rights for it :)

Paride