Re: FreeFEM Debian package

Dear Frank,

Thank you for contacting the maintainers of freefem++ and freefem in Debian.
I send a CC of our communication to the debian-science mailing list.

Στις Τετάρτη, 10 Ιουλίου 2019 12:47:33 Π.Μ. EEST Franck Lahaye έγραψε:
> Dear Dimitrios, dear Adam,
>
> We are part of the FreeFEM development team and you seem to be the official
> maintainer of the FreeFEM debian package(s) according to
> https://blends.debian.org/science/tasks/mathematics
>
> Freefem++ is now called FreeFEM and the new url is https://freefem.org
> Could you please update the program name and URL ?

The tracker page of the freefem++ debian package already points to https://
freefem.org. I will fix it properly during the next upload.

The new name of the source code that you provide is FreeFem-sources-<version
number>.tar.gz, instead of  freefem++-<version number>.tar.gz which was used
in the past. The binary file names (e.g FreeFem++), the library file sonames and
the header file names, that you provide with the recently renamed source code,
are similar (for several of them identical) to their counterparts in the old
freefem++-<version number>.tar.gz source.

Some options on how to proceed with the debian packaging may include:

1) Use the new source name FreeFem-sources and create debian binary packages
named  like freefemsources, libfreefemsources, libfreefemsources-dev etc.

2) Use the new source name FreeFem-sources and create debian binary packages
named like the existing ones freefem++, libfreefem++ etc.

3) Rename the source to freefem++_<version>.orig.tar.gz (for internal Debian
use) and keep the debian binary package names  freefem++, libfreefem++ etc.

> There may be a conflict with this package, this one should be renamed KFEM
> or removed ? The project doesn’t seem to be active anymore since 2009

Indeed freefem, as well as freefem3d, are obsolete and were superseded by
freefem++ a long time ago.
Do any members of the debian-science group use freefem or freefem3d? If not,
we can ask for a removal from the archive. In that case we may also have
option

4)  Use the new source name FreeFem-sources and create debian binary packages
named freefem, libfreefem etc.

> Our CI uses the following script to generate the .deb package (please feel
> free to improve it) :
> https://github.com/FreeFem/FreeFem-sources/blob/develop/etc/jenkins/deployD
> EB.sh

I will have a look at it. Thanks.