Debian Upstream Metadata and citation file format

Hi,

Ole pointed me to the citation file format[1] which seems to be pretty
interesting.

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 08:34:59AM +0200, Ole Streicher wrote:

> I'll let you do the job if you like ;-)

I've created preliminary packages for doi2cff[2] on Salsa:

  https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/doi2cff

(please note that python3-ruamel.yaml from experimental is needed)

$ doi2cff init 10.1093/bioinformatics/btp347
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/doi2cff", line 11, in <module>
    load_entry_point('doi2cff==1.0.0', 'console_scripts', 'doi2cff')()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/click/core.py", line 764, in __call__
    return self.main(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/click/core.py", line 717, in main
    rv = self.invoke(ctx)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/click/core.py", line 1137, in invoke
    return _process_result(sub_ctx.command.invoke(sub_ctx))
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/click/core.py", line 956, in invoke
    return ctx.invoke(self.callback, **ctx.params)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/click/core.py", line 555, in invoke
    return callback(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/doi2cff/cli.py", line 54, in init
    raise NotImplemented('Unable to process doi, converter not implemented')
TypeError: 'NotImplementedType' object is not callable

Is anybody able to verify this?

> My main question is: shall we (as Debian) advocate the usage of CFF? I
> would very much like to do that, mainly by opening issues and PRs on the
> maintained upstream packages and stating that this would help (not only)
> Debian to maintain the citations.

I'm in favour of this.

> This would however mean that we
> integrate CFF support. Asking the major drivers (like the astropy
> ecosystem in my field) would probably have a pushing effect on others.
> And this would bring Debian as one of the big players of CFF.

I think this is a good idea.  As far as I can see from a quick view
stripping some fields from d/u/metadata and adding

   cff-version: 1.0.3

should do the trick which is pretty easily scriptable (if I'm not
missing anything due to my very quick view on it).

> @Andreas -- do you plan to have a science of blends BoF? I could then
> prepare a small talk to introduce CFF to have a base for an open discussion.

Yes, I'll register the usual BoFs.  This year my decision to go to
DebConf was drawn pretty late - to late for registering any talk.
But I plan to register the BoFs for the "inofficial" track.