Re: Help with package a library with python bindings

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 03:33:36PM +0200, Christophe Trophime wrote:
> Unfortunatly I cannot ignore this warning.

why? does the program not work?

> As far as I've understood, ldd _freesteam.x86_64-linux-gnu.so
> should somehow contain libfreesteam.so to fix this pb...
>
> right?

on POSIX systems, plugins resolve symbols in the namespace of the calling
process. possibly the program makes use of this feature. then, in your
case, dpkg-shlibdeps does not seem to know that your shared object file
is actually a plugin. assuming that your program is running, the warning
is the only issue, and it is a false positive.

see dpkg-shlibdeps(1), DIAGNOSTICS section

"""
  binary contains an unresolvable reference to symbol sym: it's probably a plugin
         The indicated symbol has not been found in the libraries linked with the  binary.  The
         binary is most likely a plugin and the symbol is probably provided by the program that
         loads this plugin. In theory a plugin doesn't have any SONAME  but  this  binary  does
         have one [..]
"""

you can avoid the warning by removing the SONAME in the plugin.

hth
felix