Re: skimage (build-)depends on python-cloudpickle which has already been dropped

On 2019-09-13 15:42, Andreas Tille wrote:
Hi,

as Peter Green found out the cloudpickle source package droped Python2
support which makes bug #938494 serious.  I guess it would be even
harder to drop python-skimage right now since this would affect
python-numpy and according to

   $ apt-cache rdepends python-numpy | sort | uniq | wc -l

339 reverse dependencies.  I have no better solution than just pinging
bug #938494 from time to time - and to ping this list to work harder on
Python3 migration.

It is something of a problem, so I'm cc:ing debian-python.

There have been a number of packages dropping python2 support out-of-sequence, causing this problem. Not just cloudpickle, also pyqtgraph, which still had pymca as a dependent. Fortunately pymca was already ready to drop the dependency, but still, how many other examples are there?

Python maintainers, remember, check your reverse dependencies before dropping your python2 packages.
Check each of

  build-rdeps python-yourmodule
  apt-rdepends -r python-yourmodule

and confirm the package has rdeps=0 on Sandro's list at http://sandrotosi.me/debian/py2removal/index.html