Re: Rebuild packages using mpich instead of openmpi

On 4/4/2019 4:35 PM, Alastair McKinstry wrote:

On 01/04/2019 13:33, lukshuntim@gmail.com wrote:
On 27/3/2019 9:23 PM, Alastair McKinstry wrote:

I found out that OpenMPI *can* be removed if I install the locally rebuilt mpi-default-dev and mpi-default-bin after changing /usr/share/mpi-default-dev/debian_defaults. They now depend on mpich instead.

But this is just a hack, when mpi-default-dev is updated, it will revert back to OpenMPI. Is there anyway to avoid that?

Regards,
-- st

You _could_ produce a local version of mpi-default-dev package (with a new version number, eg. 1.13+rebuild1, then pin it.

Yes, that's what I did. Two coexisting MPI's can cause confusion for users, accidentally compiling with one but linking against the other.

We're not currently well set up to build the whole MPI stack on Debian with MPICH instead of OpenMPI.

It would be great if it's achieved. Is that the goal? My experience is OpenMPI used to be easier to use but now MPICH has come quite a long way.

Thanks,
-- st