Re: Started working on OpenBLAS flavors: six variants in total

Hi Lumin,

Le dimanche 10 février 2019 à 15:03 +0000, Mo Zhou a écrit :

> I started working on the 6 variants of OpenBLAS:
>
>   (32-bit, 64-bit) x (pthread, openmp, serial)
>
> The priorities of pthread, openmp, serial variants are 100, 99, 98
> respectively.
>
> The work-in-progress updates can be found in the "lumin" branch at
>
>   git@salsa.debian.org:science-team/openblas.git
>
> Binary package layout is the same as my latest proposal.
> I'm basically imitating the packaging of BLIS for OpenBLAS.
>
>   git@salsa.debian.org:science-team/blis.git
>
> Apart from that, I think I'll stop introducing more BLAS64/LAPACK64
> candidate packages, for example I will not patch netlib blas into
> a 64-bit verison. People who really need BLAS64/LAPACK64 doesn't
> need a backend in poor performance.
>
> That means my expected list of BLAS64 providers is:
>
>   BLIS, OpenBLAS, MKL
>
> And the expected list of LAPACK64 providers is:
>
>   OpenBLAS, MKL
>
> When I finished updating OpenBLAS packaging, I'll write an
> announcement
> to d-devel-announce and update the wikipage accordingly. Next I'll
> make julia compile against the 64-bit (pthread) version.
>
> What I said is not for Buster at all. I'll ping you again when
> I think the "lumin" branch is ready to be reviewed/merged.

Thanks for working on this. I did not look at the details, but the
overall design looks good to me. Let’s talk again about it when Buster
is released.

> The first upload should go to experimental, and we will need a simple
> transition:
>
>  Good: .depends ~ /\b(libopenblas0)\b/
>  Bad: .depends ~ /\b(libopenblas-base)\b/
>
> where libopenblas-base is changed into a transitional dummy package.
> It should be removed for Debian 12.

Note that for a similar transition in the past (libblas3gf → libblas3),
the Release Team declined to schedule rebuilds, since it’s not an ABI
change (just a package renaming). Hence we had to wait for rebuilds to
be gradually made over time through sourceful uploads.

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer