Re: state of VTK-8 (upgrading paraview)?

Hi Drew,

I can share with you my experience regarding Paraview.
I'm actually Paraview 5.6.0 with feel++.
Compiling feel++ requires to build on top of ParaView.

Part of the trouble is that the paraview package is broken
in debian and cannot be used to build some apps on top of it.
There are some missing files (mostly cmake stuff) that break compilation.
But the most annoying issue is that Paraview ships a specific version of vtk > 6
and thus the requirement for python-vtk6 is wrong!!

To work around this, paraview can be built without much problem
provided we get rid of python-vtk6. Next it's rather easy to build apps
on top of paraview. Moreover the vtk ships by paraview may be used by any
app using vtk (if they are compatible with the paraview vtk version).

In my opinion we could use paraview to provide vtk packages!
This may require some re-organisation of the packages (splitting into more packages)

An alternative to this, could be to build paraview on top of an existing vtk
But this is not fully supported by upstream, I beleive.

I can share with you my paraview package to see if it may fits into the official debian archive.

Best

Christophe TROPHIME
Research Engineer

CNRS - LNCMI