The Canary is dying in the coal mine - Triston Line

Hi Debian Science,

There's a few global crises as many in the scientific community know and most of them revolve around our environment (others revolve above our heads in space e.g. satellite junk) and I have heard a call to action to developers, therefore my go to is the best open source community on earth! "Salmon uniquely integrate terrestrial and marine effects from global warming, so they are the canary in the coal mine." https://yearofthesalmon.org/project/international-salmon-data-laboratory/

So a team of researchers is currently sailing in the Gulf of Alaska to study Salmon via DNA sampling and other taxonomic identification. They're trying to relate taxonomic data to the location the fish are being caught and released and the amount of fish they can detect (I think). Other teams are monitoring the coast and rivers collecting data for taxonomy and population as well. I'm sure that's a huge oversimplification but you can feel free to ask the researchers if you're interested.

The call to action I'm seeing is for scientists and developers to collaborate on a database system that makes sense to scientists, is likely low bandwidth (sea voyage and remote location sat coms) and is highly reliable. It sounds like there's a team starting on the project using Neo4J the Graphing Database system, seen here in their community forum post. But is there anything the debian community could suggest or recommend to aid in this project? Would the debian community be willing to participate at all?

A video about the data problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNWEBoduACk&feature=youtu.be
Start at 12 Minutes if you only care about his points on software development. Scott is the presenter and his contact can be found here: http://sogdatacentre.ca/people/researchers/scott-akenhead/

For additional information, I recommend reading up on the yearofthesalmon.org and connecting with Dr. Scott Akenhead. Thanks everyone, sorry this isn't the best place to subject this information upon you.

Triston Line