Re: dh-r changes (Was: A common group on salsa.debian.org for R packages ?)

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 09, 2018 at 08:42:45AM +0100, Sébastien Villemot wrote:
> > I'd vote for anonscm style even
> > if we need to change all Vcs fields anyway due to the team change.
>
> Unless we change the minds of Salsa/Alioth admins and convince them to keep
> anonscm.d.o forever, I think this is a bad idea. Because that means we'll have
> to go through another round of Vcs-* updates when the anonscm.d.o alias is
> disabled.

Do you hold the bet that also salsa will not stay for ever?  So we
really *need* to change the mind of the admins and I feel in a user
position who has some feature request which is shared by lots of other
users and should be fullfilled by the admins.

> I understand why you want to keep anonscm.d.o, but the battlefield on this
> issue is not within the Debian Science Team or the new R Packages Team.

Yes, its between all alioth/salsa users and the admins.

> Please rather talk to the people who make the decision.

I did so on debian-devel and what I wanted to express here is that I do
not consider it a good idea if we would now start using salsa in Vcs
fields only to learn later that anonscm will be fine (which I'm
positively expecting).  As I said previously:  anonscm was inventend to
stop the need to change Vcs URLs every second release (and it was really
that much and will never stop if we now start using salsa).

What we also need to clarify is the Maintainer field of r-pkg-team
maintained packages.  I'm about to team hijack r-cran-xts[1] and for
the moment I used

   Maintainer: Debian Science Team <debian-science-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>

but we should use an own list - and one that is promising to persist the
alioth shutdown.

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/r-pkg-team/r-cran-xts