Re: making lib HYPRE monolithic, splitting is unmanageable

On 2018-10-17 00:37, Dima Kogan wrote:
Drew Parsons <dparsons@debian.org> writes:

Speak up if you have arguments for retaining the current split-library
structure (and take over maintenance to make it happen).

My feeling is that we should be editorializing on upstream's decisions
as little as possible. So I definitely support un-splitting the
packages.

Thanks Dima, I tend to agree. It could be interesting to know if upstream considers their library to be "large", if they've thought about splitting it. Perhaps 6MB is not so large in the scheme of things. Many executables in /usr/bin are larger than that.

On the other hand, the top level makefile suggests a possible pathway for compromise. Some of the hypre subdirs come in groups. If it's feasible to build split shared libraries across those groups, e.g. one for the IJ components together, one for FEI together, then that can resolve the cross-dependencies while reducing library sizes.

Drew