Re: MPICH as default MPI; WAS: MPI debugging workflows

On 2018-10-03 22:12, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:

the false positives could be just handled manually (i.e. listed in the
transition bug), I don't think there are many that links to both.

Also, please note that mpich never built on riscv64, and is not up2date
on hppa and ppc64.  I think at least the riscv64 should be handlded
first, so to avoid being in the same situation again when a single weird
architecture uses a different MPI implementation.
I'm CCing debian-riscv@lists.debian.org for this, in case you need help.

Another thing to be mindful of are the debci tests, which are growing in number. Tests that pass with openmpi won't necessarily pass mpich, notwithstanding the assertion we're working with that mpich is more stable.

An example is the build-time tests for scalapack (which builds both openmpi and mpich versions). Build logs at https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=scalapack . Tests are set to run against both openmpi and mpich. On amd64 the openmpi tests pass (apart from a couple of timeouts), while against mpich 16 tests failed out of 96 (so currently mpich test failures are being ignored). I don't know if that means the scalapack tests are making assumptions that aren't valid under the general MPI specification, but I can guess it won't be the only package with this challenge.

As far as the ben script goes, it could look at dependencies on mpi-default-dev as well as libopenmpi3.

Drew