Packaging several tiny upstrem packages in a single Debian package

Dear science-team,

I currently maintain two packages that deal with MiniSEED, a file format
used in seismology: mseed2sac and sac2mseed. These tools are part of a
bigger software collection, SeisCode:

https://seiscode.iris.washington.edu/

I would like to package more software from SeisCode, e.g.: msi,
dataselect, msmod, mseed2ascii, ascii2mseed, and probably others. These
packages have a lot in common:

 - They are maintained by the same person and institution;
 - They are released under the same license;
 - They are all very small (sometimes just a couple of source files);
 - They are written in C and rely on the same library (libmseed);
 - They are strongly related.

I was thinking of packaging them together, in a single Debian package,
named for example ‘miniseed-tools’ or ‘seiscode-tools’ (suggestions are
welcome). I know this is not very commonly done in Debian, but I know
there are cases where is has been done. Should this be done, mseed2sac
and sac2mseed would become dummy transitional packages.

Before I start to work in this direction, what do you think of this idea?

Should we decide this is not the best approach, I think the alternative
is packaging them individually and then prepare a metapackage which
depends/recommends all of them.

Cheers,

Paride