Re: Bits about Intel MKL packaging -- Higher Priority than OpenBLAS

OBOn Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 02:35:29PM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 28 April 2018 at 11:56, Dima Kogan wrote:
> | Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> writes:

> | > I think that's a pretty strong reason to rate non-free software lowest
> | > in the alternatives. Packaging useful non-free software is fine but
> | > ranking it higher than free alternatives seems in contrast with our
> | > social contract. Users who want to use it should be able to handle
> | > alternatives system.
> |
> | I really would like to see MKL having the highest priority.
> |
> | Is the licensing issue only there when any other components being linked
> | are licensed under the GPL? If so, we need to either
> |
> | 1. actually handle this issue to make the link fail in cases of license
> |    violations
> |
> | 2. not ship MKL at all
> |
> | 3. decide that the user is sophisticated-enough to manually figure this
> |    out
> |
> | Currently we're on the path to option 3. non-free repos are already
> | opt-in, and the user already needs to do manual work to get them. If
> | they have done this manual work, that's plenty of an indication that
> | they have decided that license purity isn't a priority for them.
> |
> | If I was a user who manually added the non-free repos and then manually
> | installed the mkl libraries, I'd be aggravated to find out that there's
> | yet another hoop I need to jump through to actually use these libraries.
> | This would be a waste of my time, especially since I have already taken
> | actions to clearly indicate that I want MKL.
> |
> | We can decide that we're not interested in providing a license-impure
> | option, but then we shouldn't be providing a non-free, and we don't need
> | to rehash that argument.
>
> Seconded.
>
> Going through all this work to end up with a priority below all alternatives
> is absurd. It effectively _hides_ the MKL.
>
> Remember "our priority are our users" ?   If we decide to build and ship this
> within the project (even via non-free/contrib) then it may as well be useful.

The exact text of point 4 of the Social Contract is “Our priorities are our
users and free software”. You seem to have forgotten the second half of the
sentence.

> If we decide that we are too pure for this, then we can indeed move on. But
> let's now ship crippling packages that only pretend to help our users.

This has nothing to do with crippling the MKL package. Reference BLAS and ATLAS
have already a lower priority than OpenBLAS. See:

 https://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/LinearAlgebraLibraries

These priorities are meant to express what Debian thinks is the best option to
implement BLAS. I can’t see how we could collectively think that MKL is better
than OpenBLAS: we have always valued freedom above performance or features,
it is the essence of this project.

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer