Re: custom petsc package based on "next" upstream release

On Tue, 2017-12-05 at 18:30 +0100, Matteo Semplice wrote:

> On 05/12/2017 02:45, Drew Parsons wrote:
> >
> > But answering more directly about your option 2, working off
> > upstream's
> > next branch will probably work without too much trouble.  You'd
> > copy
> > the debian dir across and update the changelog.  You may have to
> > refresh the existing patches (e.g. applying quilt as discussed
> > above)
>
> Hi.
> I quite like the solution of using a clone of upstream...
> So I did clone the upstream repo, checked out the relevant branch
> and
> copied over the debian/ directory from the debian git repo that I
> had
> used to build the local copy of the experimental package.
> Now
>      dh_quilt_patch
> completes without errors and
>      fakeroot debian/rules binary
> seems to build the 4 packages (real/complex, dev/dbg) but then errors
> out:
>
> The cause of the error is that the files are named .3.08.2 instead
> of
> .3.8.2:
>
> $ ls
> debian/tmp/petsc3.8-real//usr/lib/petscdir/petsc3.8/x86_64-linux-gnu-
> real/lib/
>
> libpetsc_real.so  libpetsc_real.so.3.08  libpetsc_real.so.3.08.2

It sounds like something is getting mixed up in the definition of
PETSC_LIB_EXT used to define the library extension.

We have patches that inject the soname into the library.  I can't tell
quickly whether the problem is some change in those patches, or if
upstream changed the soname or PETSC_LIB_EXT handling in 3.8.2.

They should of course be .so.3.8 and .so.3.8.2
As as workaround you could try renaming them manually in debian/rules
before dh_install is invoked.

Drew