Re: ITP: vspline -- generic C++ code for uniform b-splines, remap functions

Dear Kay,

On Sat, Sep 09, 2017 at 12:46:39PM +0200, Kay F. Jahnke wrote:

> Thank you for looking at my packaging attempts. This is the first time I
> do this, so had some teething problems. I hope I've straightened it all out
> now.

No problem, it’s ok to make mistakes when learning.

> > - The layout of the git repository is incorrect. It should be in the
> >  git-buildpackage format, with 3 branches (master, upstream,
> > pristine-tar) and various tags. You should scratch the current
> > repository, create the first version of your package out of git, and
> >  then import the resulting source package into git using: gbp import-dsc
> > --pristine-tar vspline_0.1.2-1.dsc
>
> I've started afresh in the way you suggested. I hope everything is set up
> properly, would you please check?

Unfortunately it is not. There is nothing on the pristine-tar branch. It should
rather contain files matching the pattern vspline_0.2.0.orig.tar.gz.*.

My suggestion would be to scratch again the repository, and recreate it afresh
from your latest source package using "gbp import-dsc --pristine-tar" (after
addressing the points below).

Two other points:

- I don’t understand why the package build-depends on libvigraimpex-dev. I see
  nothing in the build process that requires it (by the way, there is no point
  in using Build-Depends-Indep instead of just Build-Depends, since your source
  package builds only architecture-independent binary packages).

- your changelog entry is too verbose. There's no point in describing changes
  that you recently made, since this is the first release, so there is no
  previous Debian release to compare to. It should just contain:

  * Initial release (Closes: #867382).

  (note that you can use "dch --create" to recreate the changelog from scratch
  with the correct entry).

Best,

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot