Re: Skip VTK7 and go directly VTK8? Was: Re: vtk6 and vtk7

or you can push changes to make
> it python3, and then we resolve the conflicts while it is in
> experimental.

I'll do that tomorrow.

Cheers,
Nico

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 10:19 PM Gert Wollny <gw.fossdev@gmail.com> wrote:
Am Dienstag, den 11.07.2017, 20:02 +0000 schrieb Nico Schlömer:
> > However, for the name xxxx-vtk we have packages in oldstable
> > that refers to the vtk5 python and tcl bindings.
>
> Ah right, I faintly remember that too. Are those ever going to go
> away?
I think one can actually set the conflicts and replaces properly to
allow upgrading oldstable-stable-buster, and AFAIK a direct upgrade
from oldstable to testing doesn't need to be supported.

> Indeed. It may be a pick-your-poison situation: Either don't have any
> Python 3 interfaces, or get conflicting packages. (The egomaniac that
> I am I'd vote for the latter.) Anyhow, we can try and consolidate
> those two. Not sure if possible.
I had a look through the conflicting files, and for pyhon there were
not many (pvtk and pvtkython come to mind).

> Gert, are you already done with your iteration on the package? If
> yes, and the coinstallability is the only remaining issue, we could
> start working at this in the vtk8 repo.
I am done, I could upload with python2, or you can push changes to make
it python3, and then we resolve the conflicts while it is in
experimental.

thanks,
Gert