Intending to adopt plplot maintenance for Debian

Control: owner -1 !
Control: retitle -1 ITA: plplot -- Scientific plotting library

Hi,

since plplot is unmaintained for some time but is a dependency of a few
packages (also from astronomy), I am going to adopt it under the
debian-science umbrella.

I am however not too happy with the adoption, since it is a complex
package and quite a bit out of my own scope. So, if one wants to take
over, I am happy to step back. Co-maintenance and help is also very
welcome; especially for the several language bindings.

This is my plan for the package: Up to now, the debian packaging was
maintained seamlessly in the upstream SVN, which will not be continued,
and is already broken by the last NMUs that were required to keep plplot
in Debian Stretch. Therefore instead of converting this to git, I would
use gbp import-dscs to create a git repository from the Debian packages,
and put that into the Debian Science git. The next steps would be

- switch to gbp for packaging
- update to latest upstream
- modernize/simplify the build and the package structure
- fix the remaining bugs and glitches

This all will take some time, so don't hold breath.

Best regards

Ole