libsundials-dev

Science people:

I'm looking at the sundials packaging again. This is an umbrella library
that has several different sub-libraries for

- different ODE solvers
- linear algebra backends used by these solvers

The granularity question came up earlier, and some of you pointed me to
a section in the policy (section 8.1) that indicates that putting at
least each solver into its own separate package is the right thing to
do.

What about the -dev package? I THINK putting everything into a single
libsundials-dev is OK, and shouldn't break anything. Is the only
downside the unnecessary dependencies a user would need to install (for
instance a user that only wants serial computations would need to
install all the parallel libraries)?

How frowned-upon is this? A joint libsundials-dev would simplify some
things, and make stuff less error-prone.

I can do a finer split, but want to make sure this is worth the trouble
first.