Question about packaging projectchrono and duplicated source code

Hello all,
Following the discussion here [1], I am trying to package
the projectchrono C++ library [2] for debian.

The main problem is that the projectchrono embeds some sources [3]
from the bullet library [4] that is already packaged by Debian [5]...
and debian policy forbids code duplication...

Strictly speaking, the bullet codes embedded inside projectchrono
is not the same as the bullet "main stream" one. Some parts
were edited/removed/added, etc... and it's look like a fork.

I don't know how to solve this problem.

1- A first solution consists in removing all the bullet
part of the projectchrono. By the way, some features given
by the own bullet version of projectchrono will be loose.

2- A second solution is to keep the source code and to consider
it as a fork and not as a duplicated one.

Tell me if you have an idea on the right way to solve this problem.
Best regards, Damien.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2017/04/msg00069.html
[2] https://projectchrono.org/
[3] https://github.com/projectchrono/chrono/tree/develop/src/chrono/collision/bullet