Re: Please categorise your packages for the Debian Science metapackages

Hi Sébastien,

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 11:29:14AM +0100, Sébastien Villemot wrote:
> > BTW, I removed r-base from the economics task since it seemed to
> > unspecific for me and it will be pulled in by the other r-* packages
> > anyway.  I hope you agree with this - if not feel free to revert.
>
> Actually the task also contains octave and julia, which are also
> generic-purpose computing environments. So I think we should either
> remove them, or put back r-base, for consistency.

I'm fine with whatever you decide - but please stick to open discussion
on Debian Science list (in CC).

> This leads me to wonder: what exactly should be in the tasks? The
> packages that are specific to a given field? or the packages that may be
> useful for a user working a given field, and that are not installed by
> default?

The latter (=may be useful).  In the case of r-base I simply decided
because there are specific packages that are pulling in r-base anyway
(=installed by default installation of the sciene-economics).

> If it is the former, it makes senses to remove r-base (+ octave and
> julia). But if it is the latter (and it is what I was implicitly
> assuming), then we should leave those packages.

I'm perfectly fine if you want r-base back if its really intended.