Re: Sympy removal ahead

On Tue, 2017-01-10 at 10:27 +0100, Ole Streicher wrote:
> Hi Georges and Debian-Science,
>
> the "Sympy" package, and all its reverse dependencies are going to be
> removed on Jan 29, which is not very long ahead. The reason is a
> number
> of bugs with the following dependency chain:
>
> sympy:
>  * build-depends on python-sphinxcontrib.blockdiag
> execnet:
>  * has RC bugs #840823, #846951 and #846952 (errors in build time
> tests)
>
> The mentioned build dependency of sympy seems to be optional (builds
> fine without it), and I also have no idea of how to solve the RC bugs
> in
> blockdiag and execnet. So save sympy from removal, I would propose to
> remove the dependency as long as the RC bugs remain unfixed. I can do
> that in the next days as a team upload.

In #840823 they're talking also about dropping execnet dependencies to
help execnet along.  I don't know if that will fix the other 2 bugs
though.

Given the uncertainty in execnet, I think your proposal to remove the
dependency in sympy is best for now.

python-sphinxcontrib.blockdiag simply helps building diagrams for
documentation, so it's not crucial for operation.  Unfortunate if a
diagram goes missing, but sympy users can still use online
documentation.  Can mark the missing diagram (if we can locate it) as a
non-RC bug and reinstate the python-sphinxcontrib.blockdiag dependency
later if execnet is fixed.

Drew