Re: ITP: opencascade -- Open CASCADE Technology is a suite for 3D surface and solid modeling

Hello Anton & Debian Science Team:

On Mon, 2017-11-27 at 19:36 +0100, Anton Gladky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for intending to package opencascade! I would though recommend
> not
> to have both versions (original and the fork) in Debian at the same
> time.
>
> If you have good reasons to bring back original version, please
> contact Debian
> Science Team, which is maintaining oce (and actually FreeCAD) at the
> moment.
> We will try to find a solution for that.
>
> Best regards
>
> Anton

There is certainly good reason to bring back OpenCASCADE (OCCT).  As I
mentioned, development of OCE has stalled considerably.  Take a look at
both the contribution graph and current release of OCE [1].  The
current  OCE version, 0.18.2, released Aug 2017, is based upon OCCT
6.9.1 which was released 2015-09-28. You can also take a look at the
OCCT changelog for versions 7.0.0, 7.1.0, and 7.2.0 (which actually is
released, this is not totally up-to-date) [2].  There are 196 upstream
tickets closed between OCE and OCCT (whether bugs fixed or features
added.)  There are at least 15 FreeCAD bugs resolved by OCCT > 7.

Since OpenCASCADE acts as FreeCAD's geometry/topology kernel, good
behavior and performance is tightly coupled to keeping it up-to-date,
and I believe not reintroducing OCCT would be considered a blocking
issue for the next and upcoming FreeCAD release, 0.17.

[1]. https://github.com/tpaviot/oce/graphs/contributors
[2]. https://tracker.dev.opencascade.org/changelog_page.php