Re: Python 3 Statsmodels & Pandas

Hi Diane & other science+python people,

Thanks for spending time on pandas and statsmodels. They are two very valuable
but very painful packages to work on.

I've not looked at pandas and statsmodels packages carefully beyond "why
hasn't pandas migrated this time!?" investigations but the circular
relationship between pandas and statsmodels and its associated problems has
come up several times before. It seems to be an on-going point of pain that
sucks in quite a lot of developer time.

On Saturday, 16 September 2017 14:18:10 AEST Diane Trout wrote:
> My solution was to use build-profiles to flag the test dependency with
> !nocheck

this is, of course, a very elegant solution and exactly what build profiles
are for...

I wonder though, is it really sustainable given this problem keeps coming up?

For the maintainer upload, you can do this bootstrapping with build profiles.
For other archs, however, I don't believe we can tell the buildd to use build
profiles so we'd need it to built by hand on porter boxes for every arch and
then uploaded.

Is it feaible to completely break this circular dependency? If it is only
needed for tests, would be possible to disable the build-time tests and rely
on the tests run on ci.d.n instead? If it's used for generating documentation
too, then would creating a separate source package for the documentation that
build-depends on statsmodels and pandas be possible such that there is now no
circular dependency?

(thinking aloud)

cheers
Stuart