Re: ITP: vspline -- generic C++ code for uniform b-splines, remap functions

Am 25.08.2017 um 12:03 schrieb Sébastien Villemot:

On Thu, Jul 06, 2017 at 09:16:17AM +0200, Kay F. Jahnke wrote:

* Package name    : vspline Version         : 0.1.1 Upstream
Author : Kay F. Jahnke <kfjahnke@gmail.com> * URL : https://bitbucket.org/kfj/vspline * License : EXPAT Programming Lang: C++11 Description : generic C++ code for uniform b-splines, remap functions

vspline is a header-only generic C++ library trying to address all
 aspects of uniform b-splines. This includes b-spline prefiltering
(conversion of the source data into b-spline coefficients), evaluation of the spline, and mass evaluation of data with remap-like functions.

I am the developer of this software, and members of the debian science team have suggested I should get involved with packaging. The code is now ready to be packaged, there is a repository at alioth already with packaging information:

https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-science/packages/vspline.git

I intend to do the packaging.

I do seek for a mentor/sponsor.

I reviewed your work and here are the points that need to be
modified before the package can be uploaded:

Dear Sébastien!

Thank you for looking at my packaging attempts. This is the first time I
do this, so had some teething problems. I hope I've straightened it all out now.

- The layout of the git repository is incorrect. It should be in the
git-buildpackage format, with 3 branches (master, upstream, pristine-tar) and various tags. You should scratch the current repository, create the first version of your package out of git, and then import the resulting source package into git using: gbp import-dsc --pristine-tar vspline_0.1.2-1.dsc

I've started afresh in the way you suggested. I hope everything is set up properly, would you please check?

(note that, by the way, I assumed you would start with the new 0.1.2
 upstream version; also note that debian/files should not be in git,
 but anyways it will not be imported by gbp)

I've now put in the latest version, 0.2.0. I've been working towards
this version and I wanted it as a base for the package, this is why I
took so long.

- I don’t really see the point of the vspline-examples package, it is
very small. I rather recommend to put examples in the vspline-dev package, installing them using dh_installexamples (i.e. listing the files in debian/vspline-dev.examples). They will end up in /usr/share/doc/vspline-dev/examples (note the plural), which is the standard location.

That's a good idea. I agree there isn't much in the examples, and I've
even removed one example since. I added debian/vspline-dev.examples

- In debian/copyright: + Do not put brackets around the URL in the Source field + "EXPAT" should rather be written "Expat" (license names are standardized) + You put the debian packaging under GPL-3+.
 This is OK, but standard practice is to put the packaging under the
same license as the upstream source. In particular, this makes contributed patches easier to incorporate upstream. But this is your
 call (and the more so that you are both upstream and downstream).

Sorry, I thought GPL3 was required for the packaging code. I have no
problem with releasing my packaging code under the same license as
vspline, so I made the appropriate changes. Everything is under Expat
license now.

- In debian/changelog: + You should close the ITP bug (#867382) + You
should not put an epoch in the version number (i.e. drop the "0:"
prefix)

ITP bug was closed, changelog adapted

- In debian/control: + Demote the priority to "optional" (priority "extra" has been deprecated in Debian Policy 4.0.1) + Use the latest Standards-Version: 4.1.0 + Use "Uploaders" instead of "Uploader" (note the plural) + Add ${misc:Depends} to the dependencies of vspline-dev + In the Vcs-Browser field, replace "/git/" by "/cgit/" +
The indentation in the long description of vspline-dev is wrong. You
can fix automatically it by running "cme fix dpkg" (after installing
the libconfig-model-dpkg-perl package)

I applied the changes you mentioned.

Thanks for your work,

Thanks for your help!